top of page

Changelog:

  • Added 4 small open world maps to explore

  • Finished weather change system and fixed lighting bugs with water during rain storms

  • Improved shrine visiting and added prototype travel map system

  • Improved map functionality with drag-drop and zoom

  • Redesigned inventory system with toolbar and more intuitive drag-drop system

  • Improved loot drop system

  • Added new foods and healing items

  • Added shrine collection boxes for storing unused items

  • Added birds, dragonflies, and frogs

  • Improved fishing mini-game

Planned for next month:

  • Add item trading system for unified crafting and merchant UI

  • Add reputation system

  • Re-add and fix AI for larger animals (wolves and deer)

  • Refine old maps and add 1 new biome

For backers: A new build is currently available for beta-testers on Discord!

Procedural generation wasn't producing the results I wanted and I decided to switch gears and continue manually creating the map from before. Procedurally generating rice fields and nice looking villages felt almost impossible without making them completely grid-like and blocky.


I'm hoping to use procedural generation for a different game mode that you unlock later or maybe a future project. A lot of time has been put into making procedural generation work and I don't want it to go to waste...


On the bright side you can cut grass now. It uses a cheap render target and vertex shader so it comes at very little performance cost!


Some progress on the handmade map includes a new swamp area that looks more swampy and humid than before. I also made some mangrove trees.



From the feedback I received from playtests, I decided to change the quick item system to a tool bar and also remake the inventory system to function more like minecraft/terraria. Ronin Trail is a survival game and I feel this type of structure is more suited for the genre.



Note

Twitter has been inactive for a while now but I'm still regularly working on the project. The expectations for this project have added a lot of pressure to me especially with the Kickstarter raising far more than I was expecting. I felt like I had an expectation to deliver which is why I've been avoiding posting about the procgen progress that hasn't gone anywhere. But I'll try to be more transparent about development and be more regular with devlog updates. Thank you everyone who's supporting the game.

I made some more progress with infinite procedural generation. Rivers are now generated more natural looking and I was able to create paths using the same code (basically very narrow rivers).


Paths use a Manhattan noise function combined with basic Perlin noise so that all path's connect in a sort of grid shape while also still looking like convincing hiking trails. I'd eventually like to figure out a way to account for steep terrain using slope derivatives somehow but it will come at a cost to performance/generation time.



I was able to divide the land into biomes and create convincing paths to travel through. The concept was to travel to different biomes and the further out from the starting location you go to, the more difficult the enemies. The difficulty would be indicative of the distinct biome you're in.





I got foliage and clustering to work well.

The river rocks look just as good as they do on my handmade landscapes.


I'm a bit concerned with how long it's taking to make any progress with procedural generation. It's been coming down to a lot of trial and error with combining noise functions and trying to tweak the code to get exactly the results I want.


For backers

There will be no beta tests available yet. The procedural generation experiment I've been doing hasn't produced results I'm satisfied with and it will take time to put it in a deliverable state.


bottom of page